Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Of Learning Languages and gathering resources

So, recently, while looking at learning other languages, I found this amazing site, that I hope grows even more, because it is an awesome site, it's called
 Forvo. It is a website in which users create a profile, and can upload recordings of words being said.  Seems simple enough, but it is incredibly helpful for those who may be learning a new language, they can see how certain words are pronounced, depending on how popular the word is, as well as the language, you may see the translations for it in other languages.  If I look up the word:  Word:   I find that 29 different people have put up recordings of 'Word' and I also see other recordings of words or common phrases that include 'Word',  I can also see that there are 27 different recorded translations of 'Word' currently on Forvo, such as the Vietnamese translation, which is lời, which according to the translation, sounds like 'loy'. 

You can also add words if they are not on there already, or add your own recording if your accent is not represented, you can go to a page that generates 30 (thirty) random words that you can listen to and learn for fun,  you can also customize the language of the site itself into a number of languages, such as English, German, Japanese, Vietnamese, and quite a few others, some of which I don't know how to read.

So, it does require some slight knowledge of the desired language to be of real use, but it can serve as a wonderful secondary tool to help learn a new language.  Or you can just use it for fun and learn a new word or dos (two)




Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog, let me know what you think, if you have any questions I can try to answer them, or if you think there is a blog topic you might enjoy seeing, let me know.  If you would like to follow, I don't always post on the same topics, sometimes it's government, this time it was language learning :D.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing what you can find on the internet? Thanks for sharing this with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea, that would be helpful to hear the word spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great site, thanks for the info.
    And that is a beautiful photo you took for your Mom's blog header!

    ReplyDelete